Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Freerice.com

OK, I'm not getting paid to advertise this! But over Christmas, my cousin Christopher told my family about a vocabulary site, freerice.com. It's a new site that lets you test your vocabulary and donate rice to the hungry at the same time. According to Christopher, it was created by a man who wanted to help his son study for the vocab section in the SAT. Those who know my father, know that he would immediately check out the site, and Tim is probably not too far behind either. Well, Dad showed it to me today too, and his words, "It's addictive!" are so true. This is one of the cleanest, most attractive, best designed sites I've seen for quite awhile. Reading the FAQ is enlightening and I will resist insulting your intelligence by repeating it here, but I highly recommend you do so.

The gist of the site is, that for every question you answer correctly, 20 grains of rice are donated to the UN World Food Program. The advertisers at the bottom of the site are the ones who donate, and the more you play, the more they give. It's fun to watch your total grains add up (and try to climb the levels - it's tough!). I was aiming for 1000 grains, but had to stop at 800. It's really fun and I wanted to pass it along, knowing some of my friends, hopefully many, will find it beneficial, entertaining, and challenging!

1 comment:

ruthiecheer said...

we do the freerice too. And i love the pics of Sophia's first Christmas. I must concur, watching our children develop is probably more exciting for us than it is for them. She is beautiful!